Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Setpower RV45D Fridge/Freezer First Look

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
I just received my first portable Fridge/Freezer. I got it from Setpower and it's their brand new model RV45D. Right out of the box it looks impressive. I like the form factor, basically a miniature version of a deep freezer chest. I like how you can reverse the lid so you can open it from either side and it locks shut. Even at 39lbs it's fairly easy to move around when empty. The handles are rubberized which is nice but they don't flip all the way up. The highest they go is out to the sides which makes it a bit awkward to carry. I don't plan on constantly moving it, it will either sit in the car or in the house for a party or something. It has dual-zone with a cooling vent on either side of the partition inside. If you remove the partition it automatically knows just to cool and not freeze. Also includes a rack for the freezer side and interior light when the lid is raised. It has a max mode or eco mode and will run off of your car DC or the DC/AC from a portable power station. Build quality seems sturdy, I have no problem sitting on the lid. It also has dual temp control, one for the refrigerator side and one for the freezer side. By default the refrigerator side is set to 41F and the freezer to 0F which happens to be the same exact as my home refrigerator. You can adust these settings higher or lower.

To begin testing l let the unit set in the sun for a few hours to heat up similar to how it would be if you headed out on a trip and grabbed it from the garage. Temperature was 80F outside with 60% humidity. I placed in the tailgate of my SUV and connected it to the DC (180W) output of my car. My goal was to see how fast it would cool down from 80F to the default temps of 41F/0F. I left the car running on idle (not sure it matters for the output) with the A/C off and tailgate open. The refrigerator side cooled fairly quickly but the freezer side took much longer. It took a total of 2 hours and 20 minutes for it to reach default temps. I wanted a worst case scenario baseline and feel I achieved it. I'll test that against being loaded with cold food (frozen meat) and beverages. I'll also have the A/C on in the car while I drive somewhere. I'm willing to bet it cools much, much quicker. I'm also going to test being able to maintain itself over a few days when connected to a portable power station.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. Would love to hear your opinions.

Photo Jul 16, 7 01 10 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 16, 7 01 25 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 16, 7 01 34 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Stewart's prepping

Fully Prepared
May 24, 2021
I just received my first portable Refrigerator/Freezer. I got it from Setpower and it's their brand new model RV45D. Right out of the box it looks impressive. I like the form factor, basically a miniature version of a deep freezer chest. I like how you can reverse the lid so you can open it from either side and it locks shut. Even at 39lbs it's fairly easy to move around when empty. The handles are rubberized which his nice but they don't flip all the way up. The highest they go is out to the sides which makes it a bit awkward to carry. I don't plan on constantly moving it, it will either sit in the car or in the house for a party or something. It has dual-zone with a cooling vent on either side of the partition inside. If you remove the partition it automatically knows just to cool and not freeze. Also includes a rack for the freezer side and interior light when the lid is raised. It has a max mode or eco mode and will run off of your car DC or the DC/AC from a portable power station. Build quality seems sturdy, I have no problem sitting on the lid. It also has dual temp control, one for the refrigerator side and one for the freezer side. By default the refrigerator side is set to 41F and the freezer to 0F which happens to be the same exact as my home refrigerator. You can adust these settings higher or lower.

To begin testing l let the unit set in the sun for a few hours to heat up similar to how it would be if you headed out on a trip and grabbed it from the garage. Temperature was 80F outside with 60% humidity. I placed in the tailgate of my SUV and connected it to the DC (180W) output of my car. My goal was to see how fast it would cool down from 80F to the default temps of 41F/0F. I left the car running on idle (not sure it matters for the output) with the A/C off and tailgate open. The refrigerator side cooled fairly quickly but the freezer side took much longer. It took a total of 2 hours and 20 minutes for it to reach default temps. I wanted a worst case scenario baseline and feel I achieved it. I'll test that against being loaded with cold food (frozen meat) and beverages. I'll also have the A/C on in the car while I drive somewhere. I'm willing to bet it cools much, much quicker. I'm also going to test being able to maintain itself over a few days when connected to a portable power station.

View attachment 122View attachment 123View attachment 124
Very nice. I've always wanted to get one but can't afford one on my budget

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
I just received my first portable Fridge/Freezer. I got it from Setpower and it's their brand new model RV45D. Right out of the box it looks impressive. I like the form factor, basically a miniature version of a deep freezer chest. I like how you can reverse the lid so you can open it from either side and it locks shut. Even at 39lbs it's fairly easy to move around when empty. The handles are rubberized which is nice but they don't flip all the way up. The highest they go is out to the sides which makes it a bit awkward to carry. I don't plan on constantly moving it, it will either sit in the car or in the house for a party or something. It has dual-zone with a cooling vent on either side of the partition inside. If you remove the partition it automatically knows just to cool and not freeze. Also includes a rack for the freezer side and interior light when the lid is raised. It has a max mode or eco mode and will run off of your car DC or the DC/AC from a portable power station. Build quality seems sturdy, I have no problem sitting on the lid. It also has dual temp control, one for the refrigerator side and one for the freezer side. By default the refrigerator side is set to 41F and the freezer to 0F which happens to be the same exact as my home refrigerator. You can adust these settings higher or lower.

View attachment 122View attachment 123View attachment 124

Make sure you keep the area around where the fan blows the hot air away from the unit clear with plenty of room around it. If it can't get rid of the heat it's moving from inside of the unit, it will overheat quickly.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
Make sure you keep the area around where the fan blows the hot air away from the unit clear with plenty of room around it. If it can't get rid of the heat it's moving from inside of the unit, it will overheat quickly.
I was pretty amazed at how cool the unit actually stays. When I first turned it on and it started cooling the fan was blowing warm (not hot) air from one corner. Once the cooler part started to cool down the air coming out was cool the rest of the time all the way down to 41/0. I would be more concerned about covering up the intake side of the unit. This is also why I know with food in it to start there will be much less air to move and cooler air at that making the time to reach proper temps much quicker. I also forgot to mention it's super quiet (barely noticeable) and shuts off once it reaches your set temperature.

On a side note, I reached out to several companies who were willing to send product. I'm glad with my choice of this one. The other may have worked good to cool but not as nice in the form factor and design.

45_1600x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rhino and Eric

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
You have to keep both intake and exhaust clear, but if you block the exhaust it will get hot really quickly. My family ruined two primitive versions of what you're evaluating when I was a kid by packing them into the vehicle with a bunch of other stuff. Another thing to consider is that if you have it inside the vehicle while you're driving, it's going to heat the inside the vehicle. That's fine in the winter, but might make things less comfy in the summer if your vehicle A/C doesn't go to eleven.

You're 100% correct about keeping it full too, just like the freezer or fridge at home. The more cold stuff you have in there, the easier it is to keep the whole interior at the desired temperature.