Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Power is out for an extended period

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
Our county has had power outages for the last two weeks and I guess now it’s our turn. Our power went out this morning and not expected to be back on until 11:30pm Monday.

I still haven’t found a generator but learned a lot just from this. We tried my neighbors 1500watt and it won’t kick on my well pump. Meaning we have no water either. So I ran a 100 foot line to my other neighbor who has a 6500 watt and running my well pump off that. I’m using the 1500watt to power my refrigerator/freezer.

Now that I know what I need in a generator it’s time to get one. I’m also going to be wiring a transfer switch with at least four breakers to be able to hook the generator up from an outlet outside and power my well pump, fridge/freezer and a few other circuits for lights.

Nothing like being forced to take action when a disaster strikes.

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
I remember we talked about this a while back. Luckily Transfer switches are inexpensive. The bulk of the expense will be the generator. And maybe the electrician if you don't already know someone. You can probably install most of it yourself (hardware) and leave the hard wiring to a professional.

Reactions: Ben

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
I’m interested to know what 6.5k could power. Well pump, fridge/freezer, a few lights, maybe some box fans? I doubt it’ll kick on your AC or Heater right? Have you ever maxed out that 1500? I dont have a well pump. I would just want to keep my fridge/freezer and a separate deep freezer up and running so that food doesn't spoil. Good thing about fridges and freezers is that they dont need a constant on, just dont open the doors frequently and intermittently power them when you feel the temp drops below a certain degree. I’ve also been on the market for a generator just never got around to making the purchase because i hate trial and error. Dont want to buy an underpowered generator.

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
I’m interested to know what 6.5k could power. Well pump, fridge/freezer, a few lights, maybe some box fans? I doubt it’ll kick on your AC or Heater right? Have you ever maxed out that 1500? I dont have a well pump. I would just want to keep my fridge/freezer and a separate deep freezer up and running so that food doesn't spoil. Good thing about fridges and freezers is that they dont need a constant on, just dont open the doors frequently and intermittently power them when you feel the temp drops below a certain degree. I’ve also been on the market for a generator just never got around to making the purchase because i hate trial and error. Dont want to buy an underpowered generator.
I looked up the specs on my appliances and a 5000/6500 should work for most everything for me. My well pump is just over 1000w but double for startup. So I’m planning 2000w just on that. My fridge/freezer is 500w. My furnace which is gas only needs the blower so about 500w there max. My A/C is 1500 max as well. Then there are lights which I have already replaced them all with led which only draw 8w each. My modem and router only 20w and tv 150w. So a 5000w would be fine most likely but I’m going to get a 6500 which also has like 8500w startup and will easily handle the burst when things turn on. I just watched a video on how you can get an interlock on your circuit breaker box instead of a separate transfer box. It makes you shut off main switch so you’re not sending power up the grid and then your existing box stays wired the way it is. And you can then select whichever breakers you want to turn on.

Reactions: Eric

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
Our county has had power outages for the last two weeks and I guess now it’s our turn. Our power went out this morning and not expected to be back on until 11:30pm Monday.

I still haven’t found a generator but learned a lot just from this. We tried my neighbors 1500watt and it won’t kick on my well pump. Meaning we have no water either. So I ran a 100 foot line to my other neighbor who has a 6500 watt and running my well pump off that. I’m using the 1500watt to power my refrigerator/freezer.

Now that I know what I need in a generator it’s time to get one. I’m also going to be wiring a transfer switch with at least four breakers to be able to hook the generator up from an outlet outside and power my well pump, fridge/freezer and a few other circuits for lights.

Nothing like being forced to take action when a disaster strikes.

Why is your county having power outages? Are you collectively exceeding the capacity for your grid? Maintenance work? Something else?