Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hotel room security - Your ideas and experiences

A511

Survivalist
Jun 6, 2021
The Netherlands
I was wondering whether you guys have any specific things you check/do/don't do or bring along on trips that involve staying in a hotel, either abroad or in your country of residence.

I'm planning a trip for later this year when things have settled down a bit more. I'll be going abroad and this always has me thinking about what items to bring and what to leave home. I tend to get kind of a bad feeling when leaving all sorts of valuable items in a hotel room. So, I started watching some videos on the subject and I quickly came across a video about hidden cameras and microphones in hotel rooms, and this kinda switched me into Jason Bourne mode (albeit in a not-so-serious way). I quickly fell into the well known hole of the "suggested videos" and before I knew it I was watching video reviews of anti spy equipment to scan your room for hidden camera's etc.. :ROFLMAO:.

Now, I'm definitely not worried about being spied upon and I won't be dividing the hotel room in zones to scan it down for bugs lol, but it did get me thinking about the subject in general.

Do you guys switch up your EDC based on your destination? And do you check your room for vulnerabilities? And what actions do you take when leaving your room for a day trip?

I have some thoughts on the subject myself, but I want to leave it a bit more open for now to hear about your own experiences/ideas. I suppose there'll be some differences here and there since I'm from a European country.

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
I rarely travel and I do not travel abroad at all. Given that, the one thing I never do is leave something that can't be easily replaced in the hotel room when I am away from it. It's shocking to me the number of people who leave valuables in their room when they leave for the day. Apparently they do not consider how many people might have easy access to their room.

Reactions: Eric

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
There have been times when I’ve definitely used the room safe if available but there are also times where I’ve left my laptop and cameras in the room. I suppose you’re taking a risk any time valuables are left out. As far as cameras etc. I obviously would be pissed to find one but also have nothing to hide really.

Reactions: rhino

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
There have been times when I’ve definitely used the room safe if available but there are also times where I’ve left my laptop and cameras in the room. I suppose you’re taking a risk any time valuables are left out. As far as cameras etc. I obviously would be pissed to find one but also have nothing to hide really.

Believe it or not, I have read forum posts in which people admit to routinely leaving things like firearms in their hotel room (and not in a safe) when they leave for the day.