Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ham radio test

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
I am going to go for my ham radio license. Anyone have any information on where to start?
We're in the same boat brother. I have a few websites and FB groups I joined. Plan on taking it online, not in person. Link below will help a lot. Let me know if you find any good apps for study sessions. I found a few quiz sites as well, but i’d like a more fluid and easy to use app. Would like to start a virtual study session if anyone else is interested. We can quiz each other.

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
So from what i’ve gathered from friends who have taken their Tech and are now studying for their General, most if not all are using HamStudy app. I believe it cost about $4 bucks.

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
I dont find studying and taking the exam difficult. What seems most difficult for me is the hardware. When I look at peoples equipment, they start talking this out of Earth Language I have no idea what they are talking about. Most Ham operators “build” and “rebuild” most their equipment. I’m good with opening and fixing before tossing out and replacing, but when it comes to recievers and amps and antennas, I find myself overwhelmed.

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
Yea i bought a Beofaung UV-5r, which I assume would be sufficient for close range communication, but once you get deep into Ham Radio, it becomes a game/hobby. Trying to reach the other side of the country or other side of the planet. I do not speak from experience, only from what i’ve been observing since I joined a few FB groups. Distance and equipment seem to be the top topics of discussion.

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
Nice!! Well i’m just dipping my toes, hopefully you can be of some help if I run into anything my tiny brain cant comprehend. I’m pretty good at information retention, I think I may just need help in the future wanting to establish a base station. So basically help with equipment. But we’re a long way from there hahah