Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Build a BOB for kids

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
I’m putting together individual survival backpacks for my kids. Here are the items I have so far. What else should they have? Keep in mind mom and dad will carry the heavier stuff such as shelter and more food.

Kids backpack
Headlamp, flashlight, batteries
Poncho
Bivy
Hat, gloves, hand warmers
Water container, filter straw
Food, snacks, drink mix
Whistle
Knife
Crayons/books
Hand sanitizer, masks
Wet wipes, toiletries

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
This is a bit of a stretch, but in case that your child or children were to get seperated from their parents, they should have a way to communicate with said parents. I’d track them with an Apple air tag and also include some walkie talkies. Maybe a small tarp for an improvised shelter (which you should teach them how to make a simple lean two). I’m sure theres more that they could carry, but why bog them down with a lot of “what if” items. Make sure they have Identification with ICE phone numbers. Like a luggage tag.

Hobiee

Zombie Hunter
Dec 17, 2021
Lights ! kids love lights. Mine are older now but i remember lights. I think teaching them about the water straw is huge. also i remember teaching the kids how to dial 911 if mommy or daddy were unable. honestly at 4 I would put the favorite stuffed animal as well for the comfort factor. Check out LUCI lights. solar powered blow up lanters with different colors that the kids loved.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
Lights ! kids love lights. Mine are older now but i remember lights. I think teaching them about the water straw is huge. also i remember teaching the kids how to dial 911 if mommy or daddy were unable. honestly at 4 I would put the favorite stuffed animal as well for the comfort factor. Check out LUCI lights. solar powered blow up lanters with different colors that the kids loved.
I have several luci lights in my car camp setup. They will for sure have lots of lights ;)

m005kennedy

Wanderer
Dec 18, 2021
I’m putting together individual survival backpacks for my kids. Here are the items I have so far. What else should they have? Keep in mind mom and dad will carry the heavier stuff such as shelter and more food.

Kids backpack
Headlamp, flashlight, batteries
Poncho
Bivy
Hat, gloves, hand warmers
Water container, filter straw
Food, snacks, drink mix
Whistle
Knife
Crayons/books
Hand sanitizer, masks
Wet wipes, toiletries
You forgot the most important thing: hope! There needs to a photo the child's parent in any kit constructed

Reactions: Ben

m005kennedy

Wanderer
Dec 18, 2021
This is a bit of a stretch, but in case that your child or children were to get seperated from their parents, they should have a way to communicate with said parents. I’d track them with an Apple air tag and also include some walkie talkies. Maybe a small tarp for an improvised shelter (which you should teach them how to make a simple lean two). I’m sure theres more that they could carry, but why bog them down with a lot of “what if” items. Make sure they have Identification with ICE phone numbers. Like a luggage tag.
I've recently read a lot of negative uses for air tags. They can be used by others to locate your tag, including people who you don't want finding it and your children.

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
I dont think others can track your air tag, yes I have also heard of ppl using their own air tags to track YOU, but not hacking your own tag. I may be wrong, but havent come across any reading on ppl tracking your personal air tags.
Have any links?