Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Active shooter preps

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
After the latest shooing in San Jose I got to thinking how I would prep for this. I work from home so a workplace shooting is not a high threat to me. However, a public shooting such as a mall or grocery store is. I have my concealed license so I do carry and that would be my best option if faced with a shooter. Otherwise being able to run and hide is the best option. I often have a backpack in the car but don't typically take it into a store. If I did work at a place where I had a backpack I would use the Premier Body Armor level IIIA backpack insert. I am thinking it would be a good idea to add it to my get home bag in case.

Reactions: rhino and Eric

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
After the latest shooing in San Jose I got to thinking how I would prep for this. I work from home so a workplace shooting is not a high threat to me. However, a public shooting such as a mall or grocery store is. I have my concealed license so I do carry and that would be my best option if faced with a shooter. Otherwise being able to run and hide is the best option. I often have a backpack in the car but don't typically take it into a store. If I did work at a place where I had a backpack I would use the Premier Body Armor level IIIA backpack insert. I am thinking it would be a good idea to add it to my get home bag in case.
Remember that bag I was telling you about? The Viktos Upscale, Premier Body armor makes a bag insert specifically for that bag. That is why that bag has always peaked my interest. Good stuff man. I too have pondered what I would do in a situation like that. Like you said the best option is to avoid and run the opposite direction, but then I think to myself, what if this is my calling to stop this coward from further harming people. I honestly dont know what I would do in a situation like that. In the moment, our mind tends to run wild. Thinking about our family and kids. Usually these active shooters are punk ass kids or older idiots who cant shoot anyway. Food for thought...

https://premierbodyarmor.com/products/armored-viktos-upscale-sling-bundle

Reactions: rhino

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
Training is an essential part of prepping for such emergencies. In addition to baseline defensive fundamentals, scenario-based active shooter training is a really good idea. Finding a good source for such training for non-LEO can be a challenge, though, as some vendors don't do a great job and some refuse to allow non-leo students.

First-aid/emergency medical training is also essential. Gear is good, but it's not going to be of maximum utility if you can't use it effectively under high stress.

A key element of the overall training and pre-event decision making is considering when you need to fight/retreat and when you need to administer care to your own wounds or those of others. A lot of people don't consider that they may have to continue a fight with serious injuries until the threat or resolved or step over severely wounded people under the same circumstance. Few people consider such decisions without specific training that leads them down the path.

Reactions: Eric

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
Some random thoughts . . .

People talk about taking cover, but:
  • Do you know what cover really is? How is it different from concealment?
  • Do you know how to make use of cover effectively? What about if there are multiple threats in different locations?
  • What if there is no cover readily available?

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
Remember that bag I was telling you about? The Viktos Upscale, Premier Body armor makes a bag insert specifically for that bag. That is why that bag has always peaked my interest. Good stuff man. I too have pondered what I would do in a situation like that. Like you said the best option is to avoid and run the opposite direction, but then I think to myself, what if this is my calling to stop this coward from further harming people. I honestly dont know what I would do in a situation like that. In the moment, our mind tends to run wild. Thinking about our family and kids. Usually these active shooters are punk ass kids or older idiots who cant shoot anyway. Food for thought...

https://premierbodyarmor.com/products/armored-viktos-upscale-sling-bundle
I have the their universal insert.

Ben

Administrator
Staff member
May 11, 2021
Michigan
Some random thoughts . . .

People talk about taking cover, but:
  • Do you know what cover really is? How is it different from concealment?
  • Do you know how to make use of cover effectively? What about if there are multiple threats in different locations?
  • What if there is no cover readily available?
The ability to think clearly comes from training as you mentioned. Also as @Easy E said what would you do when faced with no other option than to fight and when to know if that's the right thing to do. My instructors have always told me if you have to think about it, you probably shouldn't shoot. If there is no thought then you made the right decision. A good place to start is make yourself aware of exits and cover whenever you enter a building.

Reactions: rhino and Eric

RustySnake

Survivalist
May 23, 2021
As a licensed person I carry everywhere allowed within the law here in Texas, as well as a spare mag. When going to grocery store, Home Depot or any other big store I sometimes carry 2 handguns and 1 spare mag. But also as a licensed person I feel an obligation to stop a threat if one were to happen in my immediate vicinity. To help keep myself and my family safe as well as others around me. I definitely WOULD NOT be running and hiding. A citizen trained to stop a threat is going to be able to react to a shooter much quicker then the police. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself knowing people were getting killed in the isle next to me when I was able to stop that threat, but didn’t cause I choose to hide...

Reactions: rhino, Eric and Ben

Eric

Staff member
May 12, 2021
Texas
I stand behind what I said. I also am A licensed carrier in Texas and I also couldn't imagine the nightmares I would have knowing that I did not stop a threat, but there are so many “what ifs”. What if you run to the next isle and shoot the guy who you think is the active shooter, what if that guy had just shot the real active shooter and he was just another concerned citizen like yourself. That would be a tough one to swallow and live with. These are tough situations, not so easy to just run at the first person you see shooting, cause it could be the wrong person. Also, what i’ve seen happen in the past is for example you run to the next isle and happen to see the active shooter and stop him, then another guy comes along and sees you with a gun and shoots you thinking you are the threat. Messy situation best left to law enforcement, but if you are 1000% sure you know who you are shooting, then by all means go for it. This only applies to an active shooter situation, if you are approached and or being mugged then yes 2000% shoot the bad guy, dont run when you have the means ro protect yourself or your family.

Reactions: rhino

rhino

Apocalypse Survivor
May 17, 2021
Indiana
I stand behind what I said. I also am A licensed carrier in Texas and I also couldn't imagine the nightmares I would have knowing that I did not stop a threat, but there are so many “what ifs”. What if you run to the next isle and shoot the guy who you think is the active shooter, what if that guy had just shot the real active shooter and he was just another concerned citizen like yourself. That would be a tough one to swallow and live with. These are tough situations, not so easy to just run at the first person you see shooting, cause it could be the wrong person. Also, what i’ve seen happen in the past is for example you run to the next isle and happen to see the active shooter and stop him, then another guy comes along and sees you with a gun and shoots you thinking you are the threat. Messy situation best left to law enforcement, but if you are 1000% sure you know who you are shooting, then by all means go for it. This only applies to an active shooter situation, if you are approached and or being mugged then yes 2000% shoot the bad guy, dont run when you have the means ro protect yourself or your family.

That's another reason why training and more training are essential. The more facility you have for implementing the physical skills and actions without a lot of conscious thought and effort, the more resources your brain has available to observe, perceive, access, process, and make decisions about what actions to take (or not take) in a highly stressful situation.

If you haven't done any real training, get some. If you have had real training, get more. Practice based on what you learned in training. Practice more. Train more. The last thing you want to happen under stress is be forced to dither and worry over how to access tools, deploy them efficiently, etc. when you need to be processing what is happening and deciding your best course of action given the circumstances.